Sunday, May 20, 2007

What's With Healthcare?

There is alot of talk about healthcare these days and sustainability. There are those who say that health care should only be allowed in the public universal system, and then there are those who think there is a place for private (user pay) facilities to help shorten wait times. It is probably the most debated and discussed issue in terms of government programs, but I have one question. If healthcare is to be funded only by taxpayers and cannot be administerd for profit at a private clinic, and everything is publiclly owned, what happens when one health district raises funds to by beds, for example, and then the hospital is closed by the government latter? Does the government get to keep the equipment that was purchased, and use it where they see fit or does the health district get to sell it to them, since they purchased it with their own funds. No one ever talks about this but it strikes me funny that if a local hospital raises money for something and then is not able to retain it when their facility is closed to turn it back into cash, there is something wrong with this picture. I sure would like some answers, although I'm not sure I will like the answer I get.

No comments: